Appetizers are for me, the second best part of a three courses meal (after dessert of course!). I think they deserve to be well presented, and to combine multiple flavors.
Eggplant is a night shade vegetable that is honestly pretty plain.. The down side of using eggplant in a combination is that the taste is very neutral and the up side is that it fits with almost anything and everything and that the texture can offer various possibilities.
The eggplant offers a multiple way to eat it: grilled, panned, marinated, pureed… I am sure some people eat it raw but I actually never tried this..
In this recipe, we are using the eggplant as fries but instead of frying them we are baking them. It’s way more healthy, and also has protein with the eggs. This appetizer can easily replace bread if you are eating them with a dip or a salad.
They are made here as fries but can be also just cut in rounds part. They are both delicious and the flesh tends to the same texture, the difference is just in the look.
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 tbsp of cumin powder
- 1 tbsp of tahini paste
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut edges of eggplant.
- Slice in fries size.
- Mix egg and cumin.
- Soak eggplant pieces and dispose on parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 450F.
- Reverse fries at half the time to allow the other side to bake.
- Prepare dressing by mixing tahini, olive oil and honey.
- Add salt and pepper.
- When eggplant ready, add to a serving plate.
- Pour dressing on top and enjoy!