Onion jam – an intensely flavorful sweet and sour spread to eat with a cheese plater, with fish or salad.
Red onions and sweet onions are a balanced combination for this recipe. However you can use only one sort of onion if you have a preference. It has to be a bit sweet but very soft. You need to taste the strong flavor of onions hidden behind the honey. I also recommend using honey as a sweetener.
And the best part is: 2 ingredients only! Many recipes for onions jam have balsamic vinegar, brown sugar or wine but I don’t think we need them at all! All you need is a sauce pan and… time!
Even if the cooking process is long, it’s all worth it! You can make a large batch of jam and freeze half of it. You should store it in an air tight container. Glass is better because it doesn’t absorb odors. Also, I like to slice my onions with a dicer mandoline. It’s one of the best investment I made, I cut all my veggies with it!
It’s a easy and tasty spread you can serve with a cheese platter. You can also use it to garnish burgers.
You can use any of my bread recipe, but I recommend the pita bread. Recipe here. Fill them with goat cheese and add some onion jam.
I also used this onion jam to garnish my portobello burger. Recipe here.
- 2 large red onions
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 tbsp of raw honey
- 6 cups of water
- Slice onions and add to a large deep pan.
- Cover onions with water.
- Cover and cook on medium-high heat for 1 hour until onions are translucent and water decrease.
- Mix so onions don't attach to the pan every 15 minutes.
- Add honey and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for another 15 minutes.
- When no more water, add 2 more tbsp and cover. Cook at low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Onions should be caramelized and very soft!