Avocado chickpeas pesto pasta – super healthy pasta version topped with an avocado chickpeas pesto vegan and gluten free!
I am just so excited to share this recipe with you! It’s so simple and so delish! And a great cheese pasta alternative. Why? Because the avocado is so creamy, and with the chickpeas you get such a filling pesto.
Basically, you can use any kind of pasta for this recipe, but I really loved the lentils pasta from Trader Joe’s. Made with lentils flour, they are gluten free and as you may know, lentils has lots of protein. It’s an ideal dish after working out or for any kind of lunch. You can even have it for dinner as it’s a very complete meal but be aware that you should eat at least 3 hours before going to bed to get the best digestion possible! No one should go to bed with a full stomach 🙂
I added also some mushrooms to the pasta to make them even more filling and more loaded in protein. The mushrooms are cooked with some tomatoes and water and they release some juice that you will use when the pasta are cooked. The point of this recipe is to not use oil (or very little!). So you replace the oil by the juice of mushroom and tomatoes.
For the pesto (should I call it a pesto or hummus? a “pesmus”? a “humsto”), you use very basic and wholesome ingredients like avocado (#1 in my heart!), basil, cooked chickpeas, lemon and pine nuts. Could this be anymore delicious?
You just need a regular food processor that can blend without too many liquids. I have the kitchen aid and I am super happy with it!
When everything is ready you just have to assemble and serve warm or at room temperature. The combination of ingredients is absolutely delicious and it’s a new recipe I will for sure be making very often!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #myorganicdiary on Instagram. I would love to see what you come up with!
- 1 lb of dried lentills pasta (or any kind of pasta!)
- 1 lb of wild mushrooms
- 8oz of heirloom tomatoes
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup of fresh basil rinsed
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- 1½ cup of cooked chickpeas
- 2 lemon squeezed
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup of water (or more if you want the pesto more liquid)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Cook the pasta according to the packaging.
- When cooked, dry and rinse pasta.
- Cook mushroom and tomatoes in a sautéed pan with 1 cup of water until mushroom are tender.
- Cover to keep the juice.
- When ready, mix pasta and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend for 2 minutes until completely smooth.
- Top the pasta with the pesto.
- Top with pine nuts, tomatoes, chickpeas or sundried tomatoes.
- Serve warm or even room temperature