Eggplant tarte tatin – caramelized vegetarian pie spiced with paprika, cumin and tahini.
Tarte Tatin is definitely one of the classic french recipes out there. It’s basically an apple pie but upside down. How cool is that?
For this recipe, I twisted the ingredients a bit to make it savory using eggplant and zucchinis and it’s a delish! Eggplant is one of my go-to vegetables thanks to its tender flesh and non predominant taste. Topped with the right ingredients, eggplant is a delicate and flavorful dish. Here we are using smoked paprika, cumin but also one of my favorite combination with eggplant: tahini and honey.
The spices give a middle eastern touch. The tahini add to that and the honey just caramelized it all for a sweet and sour taste.
To get the perfect texture, you should first roast the eggplant after brushing them. Then you’ll be placing them in the pan and bake it with the eggs and zucchini mixture.
I am using a round spring form mold in silicon for this recipe and I absolutely love this mold. This is definitely something you should invest in. I use it for cake, pies and savory dishes.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #myorganicdiary on Instagram. I would love to see what you come up with!
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tbsp of tahini.
- 2 tbsp nut oil (or olive oil)
- 6 oz of goat cheese (optional)
- 1 tbsp of honey
- ½ cup of nut milk
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- Slice eggplant in round.
- Mix tahini, honey, 1 tbsp of oil and sprinkle some spices. Add ½ cup of water.
- Brush eggplant with the mixture.
- Place eggplant slices on an oven proof sheet pan on parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- During that time, cut zucchini in cubes.
- Mix with egg and spices (and goat cheese).
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and milk.
- When eggplant is ready, place eggplant at the bottom of a round oven proof pan.
- Pour egg mixture on it.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees or until fluffy.