Cauliflower casserole – vegan and gluten free one pan spiced dish
This cauliflower casserole is definitely one easy dish you can make when you have a few ingredients on hand. You’ll need mushroom and cauliflower topped with spices. Quinoa is optional. I also added some coconut milk to add some creaminess and my cashew vegan parmesan cream. However, you can simplify the recipe if you want by omitting the cashew cream.
I would keep the coconut cream to get a delicious vegan creamy texture with the cauliflower. The sun dried tomatoes add a lot to this recipe by enhancing the paprika taste.
This recipe is inspired by the Cauliflower Casserole on Colleen’s blog. I made some twist by adding other spices and coconut cream to her original recipe. If you are looking for mouth-watering recipe, go there you’ll definitely enjoy it!
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 scallion leaves, cut in small pieces
- 1 cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of cashew parmesan (recipe below)
- 1 cup of cashews soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp of mustard
- 1 tbsp of miso
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- ½ cup of water + more if necessary
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large oven proof skillet (or regular pan), add onions, mushrooms, garlic salt & pepper with 1 cup of water.
- Add spices.
- Cook until onions are soft.
- Add coconut milk and mix until having a homogeneous cream.
- Add cashew parmesan and mix until dissolved.
- Add sun dried tomatoes.
- Add cauliflower to the pan and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until cauliflowers pieces are becoming tender.
- (Add quinoa and stir to combine everything.)
- (Transfer to oven proof pan or skillet)
- Bake 25 minutes or until cream start to thicken.
- Top with scallions.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor for 3 minutes until smooth.
- Keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
- Can be frozen.