EGGPLANT OLIVE DIP CAPONATA – Healthy version of the Sicilian salad. Vegan and gluten-free
This dip can be considered Sicilian but Morocco has it’s own version of it. However I adapted it to make it healthier without omitting the flavors.
Capers and olives give some acidity and bold taste to the tomato and eggplant texture.
This dish can be made in your pot or instant pot. In the instant pot it will cut the cooking time by 2 at least. If you are making it in a regular pot, make sure to cook it well because the ingredients needs to be very soft and tender and well combined. Also make sure you watch it closely so it doesn’t burn.
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (18 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup green (or kalamata for a stronger taste) olives
- ¼ capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp paprika.
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, mint or basil
- Pine nuts for toppings
- In a large pot or instant pot, sautee onions with water and oil for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Add cubed eggplant and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often so it doesn't burn.
- Add the tomato can and seasoning. Cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Eggplant and onion have to be soften by the tomato sauce.
- Add olives and capers. Stir well.
- If too watery, increase the heat and cook for another 15-20 minutes until water it totally absorbed.
- Top with herbs and pine nuts and serve on hummus or by itself.