Sweet Potato Gnocchi – Delicious filling vegan and gluten-free pasta alternative
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed (around 2 cups +/-)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour +1 cup for dusting
- pinch of sea salt + any preferred spices
- Oil needed for cooking
- 1.5 cups of cashews, soaked overnight in water with a pinch of sea salt)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 cup water + more for desired consistency
- Salt to taste
- 8oz chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- Crispy sage (optional but delicious!)
- Strain your cashews and rinse under some water.
- Add all of your ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. For a thicker sauce add less water, for a thinner sauce add more.
- For the mushrooms, heat some oil in a pan and add your mushrooms. Stirring frequently, cook until soft, about 5 -10 minutes.
- Stir your cooked mushrooms into your cashew sauce.
- The cream can be frozen for 2 month. Thaw before using.
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and knead with your hands until well combined.
- Sprinkle some flour on your countertop. Grab a handful of dough and roll it out into a long snake on your counter. Grab another handful and continue this until you have used up all of the dough and you have a few long snakes rolled out in front of you.
- Cut each one in approximately 1 inch pieces, and use the back of a fork to slightly flatten each segment.
- Prepare a large pot with boiling water. In small batches, place the gnocchi in the water for about two minutes. When they float to the top it means they are done. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and set them aside in a strainer.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of your oil on a pan and add the gnocchi, browning on both sides.
- Remove from pan, stir your sauce through and enjoy!