SAVORY TARTE TATIN – Plant-based beautiful dish to impress your guests. Made with spelt crust.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, washed
- 20 pearl onions, peeled and whole or 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and pepper
- fresh thyme leaves for serving
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups spelt flour + more for dusting
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1⁄2 cup non dairy milk
- 1⁄2 cup avocado or olive oil
- Salt and pepper or everything bagel spice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve yeast and water.
- After 5 minutes add all other ingredients and mix until having a smooth dough. If too sticky, add 1tsp of flour, if too crumbly add 1 tsp of water at the time. The consistency should be firm enough and easy to roll with a rolling pin.
- Set aside in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- In an ovenproof skillet (can be a cast iron skillet or an oven proof pan), heat the avocado oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the tomatoes and onions with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-6 minutes until softened.
- Spread evenly at the bottom of the pan to make one layer.
- Optional: spread with cheese (vegan or goat cheese for example)
- If making this in advance, you can let the dish cool down and reserve in the fridge until ready to bake with the crust.
- Preheat oven at 375F.
- Using parchment paper and flour to avoid the dough to stick, roll the dough using a rolling pin.
- Using the skillet lid or anything the same size than the skillet, make a circle in the dough the shape of the skillet.
- Press the dough on top of the layer to secure the tomatoes and onions, tucking the side gently.
- Make small cuts in the dough to let it breathe during baking time. Sprinkle with seasoning of your choice.
- Bake for 35-40min. Check after 30 minutes to make sure it’s not overcooked.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Using basking gloves and a flat plate, reverse the tarte tatin.
- Serves best warm or at room temperature.