Lentils beans tomato stew – Vegan gluten free dish loaded in protein made in one bowl
As a kid, I didn’t grow up eating beans and lentils. It wasn’t part of our diet at all. I started eating them in NYC a few years back and started cooking them very recently.
I find legumes very satisfying and filling. As a vegetarian, I am often missing my protein and this stew, believe it or not, offers 40 of protein per portion!
This is a very easy recipe as all you need to do is throw the ingredients in the large casserole. The more it cooks, the tastier.
To add some flavors to the beans and lentils, they are mixed with some of my favorite spices, paprika and cumin but also tomato sauce and mushrooms. How delicious is that??
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #myorganicdiary on Instagram. I would love to see what you come up with!
- 1 cups dried lentils
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 lb. wild mushrooms (bella or crimini mushrooms), rinsed
- 2 pinches salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cook lentils according to packaging in a large pan.
- Add 1 cup of water, diced onions, tomato, garlic and beans.
- Add all spices.
- Cook on medium heat until boiling.
- Add mushrooms and finally allow to simmer for 20 minutes on low.
- Serve warm, with herbs.