Tomato Caramelized Onion Pie – Vegan and gluten-free delicious complete meal high in fiber.
I love carbs!! I am a real Frenchy! But as I try to avoir gluten, I find myself playing with with gluten-free grains. This tomato caramelized onion pie is to die for! And if you’re not a vegan, you’re welcome to use goat cheese (the best combination!)
In this recipe, make sure you don’t omit the caramelized onions. They are absolutely needed, as they contrast well with the acidity of the cheese and tomatoes.
Feel free to play with the recipe and use the crust for different combination!
- 1½ cup almond flour or meal
- ½ cup Tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp flax meal + 6 tbsp Water
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1½ cup vegan cheese, cashew cheese, goat cheese or feta
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or 3 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup basil
- a handful of pine nuts
- Mix flax meal and water and let sit for 5 min.
- Mix all other ingredients together and reserve in fridge.
- Roll the dough and place in an oven proof pie pan. Using a fork, make small holes in the dough.
- Reserve in the fridge.
- Sautee onion with ½ cup of water until caramelized for 15-20 min
- Spread the cheese as a first layer
- Spread the caramelized onions
- Top with tomatoes.
- Sprinkle salt and brush with olive oil
- Bake at 350F for 30-40min or until edges are golden brown and tomatoes well cooked but not burnt.
- Top with basil and pine nuts.