Tunisian Sandwich – Healthy version of the classic traditional dish.
Tunisian Sandwich - Healthy version of the classic traditional dish.
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 cups of all purpose flour, and more ( ½ to one cup) for dusting
- 1 package dry yeast (¼ oz. 7g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water, warm
- 2 cans of olive oil packed tuna
- 4 peppers
- Pitted whole Black Kalamata olives (sliced in half)
- Harissa Paste
- Mechouia (Roasted Red Peppers)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the yeast in a large bowl with half of the water. Add flour, egg, oil and mix well. Add salt, sugar and rest of water and mix well until having a sticky (stick to your finger) dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave it rise on the counter for about 1 hour.
- To save time, you can also also take a cup or warm water and place in the the microwave or oven with dough to have it rise in 30 minutes.
- After it rises, add one ⅓ cup of flour and mix - dough should be slightly sticky but able to be rolled out a rolling pin. Add additional flour if necessary. Use your hands or a spoon to eliminate all bubbles in the dough.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and then use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to ¼ inch. Sprinkle some flour additional if necessary.
- Use a 3 inch round cookie cutter to form the fricassee bread. Put them a cookie sheet lined in parchment to rest for 20 minutes. Cover with cloth during resting.
- Dough should have doubled in size
- Place on parchment paper and bake for about 15 minutes. Until outside is crispy but inside doughy.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Place one heaping tablespoon of harissa paste into the drained tuna and mix well
- Roast the peppers whole in the oven at 450 on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 30 minutes until well broiled
- Put into a large ziplock bag and seal. Leave in the sink or at room temperature for 2-3 hours
- Peel the skins off and let drain in a colander to get rid of the water
- Remove seeds
- Slice lengthwise into strips
- Place strips in bowl and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix well and set aside until assembling the Fricasses
- Cut the Fricasses in half and assemble in this order: mechouia (peppers), tuna, capers olives and optional slice of hardboiled egg.