Who doesn’t love bourekas? They are a very common and popular dish in Israel because so easy and convenient! You can fill them with whatever you like: cheese, greens, meat… You can make them healthier with filo dough instead of puff pastry.. but it’s sooo good!Print
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg
- 1 yolk
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook the potatoes until well done (30 minutes). Peel and mash them with olive oil and salt.
- Cook on high heat and stir onions in olive oil and a base of water. Onions should turn brownish but not burned.
- Add the onions and the extra 2 tablespoons olive oil to the potatoes. Blend well and add pepper and salt to taste.
- Mix potatoes and onions and egg.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface. Cut 12 squares.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling on each square and fold to get a triangle. You can also do rolls.
- Oil a parchment sheet. Brush the bourekas with yolk.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown at 375F. Serve warm.