This is a new version of the famous shakshuka! This dish is usually made of tomatoes and peppers but wanted to change a bit and to try it with eggplant.
Eggplant mixes perfectly with peppers and adds a nice contrast. The good thing of the shakshuka is that it’s very healthy! It’s only veggies and proteins so perfect before the (fatty) holidays!
I can find many other benefits to eating a good shakshuka but I prefer you to try this recipe and to understand by yourself!Print
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 garlic clove
- 5–10 grape tomatoes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 4/5 eggs
- Cut eggplant in two and dispose face down on a parchment paper on a flat baking pan. Dispose peppers around. Bake for 30-45 minutes (until pepper skin is darker) on broil.
- Put hot peppers in plastic bags and close. Let cool.
- When peppers are cooled, skin will be very easy to remove.
- In a large bowl, mix peppers and inside of the eggplant.
- Slice with two knives (one in each hand) until well cut.
- Add salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice.
- In a medium skillet (I used a small one for only two eggs), pour the preparation on medium heat. Cover for a few minutes.
- Cut tomatoes and drop into skillet. Break eggs and cover again on medium heat. Cooking time is around 7 minutes.