This is my classic challah recipe. I recently came up with a new one without eggs so fully vegan and it’s also delicious.
The difference is the color but also the texture. It’s more like a brioche with eggs and more like bread without eggs.Print
- 160 g of sugar or 1 1/2 cup of raw honey
- 800ml sparkling water (room temperature!)
- 40g fresh yeast gluten free (you can find it at Whole Foods)
- 200ml olive oil
- 40g salt
- 4 eggs (room temperature!)
- 2kg all Purpose flour
- Sesame seeds
- 1 egg beaten with water and sugar
- 2 cup of multigrain
- 2 cup of oats
- Dissolve yeast in sparkling water and let sit for 10 minutes
- In a large bowl mix sugar, eggs, honey and oil and start adding the flour, the yeast and sparkling water and the rest of the flour. Add oats and multi-grains.
- The dough should be super easy to mix.
- Add the salt at the end.
- After 10 minutes of kneading, the dough should be super smooth.
- Place the dough in plastic bag and in oven turned off.
- After one hour, the dough should have doubled in volume.
- Braid and let rise one hour again.
- Brush with beaten eggs.
- Bake at 360°F for 35 to 45 minutes depending of the size of your challah.