Crispy tofu rice bowl – Healthy vegan and gluten free crispy tofu bowl with medley rice.
This healthy bowl has been created in honor of the “Around the World in 12 Plates” challenge. I am super excited to embrace this new challenge where every month we get to learn about the cuisine of a new country. This month, we honored China!
I am a big fan of asian cuisine in general but I have to admit I wasn’t a fan of tofu.. But now I know it’s because I didn’t know how to prepare it properly. I didn’t like it very soft and watery tasteless texture. This recipe made me change my mind. Tofu has either do be stir-fried or seared (I keep this method for another recipe).
It’s very common to eat it deep fried but I am not a huge fan of fried food (what’s the point of eating vegan tofu fried food? I would prefer to eat a chocolate cake, at least the calories are worth it!).
The frying in this recipe is very light but give the perfect crunchiness to the tofu you want. And it changes everything!
I added some brocoli roasted with brown rice vinegar. It’s a delicious combination because of the texture contrast and the slightly bitter taste of the brocoli.
Finally, I added a rice medley. I am not a huge fan of white Chinese rice so I cheated a bit and twisted the recipe…
I hope you’ll enjoy it and looking forward for next month challenge!
Check out the other challenge participants:
Dish ’n’ the Kitchen: https://
The Tasty Gardener: http://www.
All Things Nice! https://
Korena in the Kitchen: http://wp.me/p5z1Ak-
The Food Girl in Town: http://
CRISPY TOFU RICE BOWL
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 3 pers 1x
- Cuisine: Asian
Healthy vegan and gluten free crispy tofu bowl with medley rice.
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups of cooked medley rice (brown, jasmin and pearl)
- 16 oz of raw brocoli
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce (less sodium)
- 2 tbsp of brown rice vinegar
- Line a plate with a folded paper towel and set the tofu without the packaging on top. Set a small plate on top of the tofu and weigh it down with something heavy, like a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. Let sit for 30 minutes until the liquid came out of the tofu.
- Bake brocoli topped with brown rice vinegar for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Slice the pressed tofu into cubes.
- Transfer the tofu to a shallow dish and sprinkle with the salt.
- Coat with potato starch
- Continue sprinkling starch is used.
- Set the skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Add all of the tofu in a single layer. The tofu should sizzle upon contact — if not, wait a few minutes to let the pan heat before continuing.
- Pan-fry the tofu until golden
- Eat the tofu immediately when colder. It will remain crispy for a few hours, but will become chewy and lose its crispness if refrigerated.
- Present in a large bol rice, tofu and brocoli. Season with soy sauce ans sesame seeds.
Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says
I love tofu! And your dish looks pretty, healthy and tasty! We’re looking forward to next month’s challenge, too!
I’m not a huge fan of tofu but I will eat it if it’s crispy. Glad you are participating in this fun challenge.
Crispy tofu is the best!